It is recognized that some youth and junior hockey players do leave home to play hockey in a location away from their parents. In those circumstances, the organization or team typically arranges for the player to live with a host or billet family. Having youth players live outside their homes increases risk for abuse and misconduct to occur. All organizations and teams that arrange for players to live with billet families shall have written policies and procedures in place to govern the arrangement. All billeting policies and procedures shall meet the following requirements:
• No more than two players should be housed with any one billet family (at the Junior level, there may be exceptions to the number of players permitted in one billet home if approved by the USA Hockey Junior Council).
• All adults living in the household of the billet family shall be screened in accordance with the USA Hockey Screening Policy prior to the player moving in with the family.
• It is strongly recommended that all billet families be two-parent homes. However, single parent billet families may be acceptable, but the organization or team shall take additional reasonable steps to regularly monitor the billeting arrangement and its compliance with the USA Hockey SafeSport Policies.
• All adults living in the household of the billet family shall have completed training in compliance with the Education and Awareness Training Policy prior to the player moving in with the family.
• Billet families and the player and player’s parents shall all sign an agreement with the organization and/or team that they will comply with the rules and regulations for the billeting arrangement and the USA Hockey SafeSport Policies.
• Based upon the requirements of the jurisdiction, the player’s parents shall sign and provide a power of attorney and/or guardianship (as necessary by applicable state law)to the billet family adults to allow for them to make emergency medical and schooling decisions.
• Each team shall have a billet coordinator who shall be responsible for overseeing compliance with the Billeting Policy and all other USA Hockey SafeSport Policies.